Friday, March 25, 2011

Where is spring?!


Since moving out to the island from Calgary, the weather has been considerably milder for me, to say the least. I don't think we had a single day that went below 15 degrees, however, sunshine is scant.
Its really affected my mood in the past months. Sunshine really makes me happy! Every morning here usually starts out with a clear sky and false promises of a beautiful day, however, by noon, its overcast and if its not raining, its about to or it already has.

The dog doesn't even enjoy going for walks and it seems like he trudges along because he knows of the impending foot rinse off waiting for him when we get home. Plus hes put on weight because we put off trips and walks due to rain or impending rain. Actually, now that I think of it, we have all put on weight!

No, I don't want to take vitamins to supplement for sunshine. Nothing can replace the warmth on your face or walking wherever you want in flip flops and a tank top without people thinking your nuts (people are trying to pull it off at this point but between the puddles and the not quite warm enough weather either their parents will be blamed for under-dressing them or they will get looks resembling 'its not summer yet, hun...'

I just want summer to hurry up and get here! Considering this is my first winter here, you would think the island would show off a little more and say 'heyy its still a little tropical here, so you can have a little ray of warmth but only a little so stay and hold on and see what spring is really like!'

Granted, the long standing residents of the island are all saying 'Its been a bad winter... raining so much... not normally so wet...' and I so badly want to believe them. I want to believe that this time next year the winter will be a little shorter, a little drier, but for now it looks like I'm just going to have to be patient, and keep dreaming of the day the island decides summer is officially here and we can spend our days on the beach... with a nice cold drink and be happy soaking up some vitamin D.

No comments: